Home Cooking with What You Have Local and In Your Home.
Sustainable Cooking Tips and Recipes with Zucchini.
Home cooking with what you have local and in your home is what we do with our Fridge Feasts sustainable cooking series we started March 11, 2020 with Italian Chef Dario Tomaselli and Rich Life Strategist & Health Advocate Anita Heidema.
Sustainable cooking with zucchini from our vegetable garden this week and many other recipes at Passion Is Cooking.
With our Fridge Feasts sustainable cooking series and our International Dinner Club (August we celebrate Greek food), we help you cook and eat together in the kitchen with delicious chef made recipe ideas that are easy to make together as couples, friends and family.
Many of us have started a garden during the covid pandemic. Quarantine living is allowing us to appreciate food more and realise our home made cooking skills. We love it. Here are some tips to sustainable living and a new Zucchini Scapece recipe you can preserve and use as an antipasto, condiment and/or addition to fish, poultry, and vegetables. Yum.
Tips to sustainable living
1. Plan in advance- using a meal planner and planning a garden to eat and preserve takes some time organizing. Add a task every week to be more sustainable.
2. More hands make light work and not to mention fun to do together. If you can make recipes together in batches and preserve food in advance you are self sustainable. We are getting together with friends tomorrow to make batches of tomato sauce (more to come in next weeks newsletter). Tomatoes to last us a year of deliciousness.
3. Change of mindset is what is needed. Think before you buy and throw out. We have many tips in our Fridge Feast series for you to see what you can buy to cook with that lasts and what you can preserve and use that is local. Have this way to look at your fridge and pantry and use what you have. Save vegetable cuts to make a soup stock etc. So many ideas coming your way with Passion Is Cooking you will see in our newsletter “What’s Stirring” and daily inspiration in social.
Zucchini Scapece Recipe
- 3 medium green zucchini slices into ¼ inch round
- Vegetable oil or grape seed oil for frying
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 cup of mix between fresh basil, mint and chives (thinly sliced)
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- 2 gr of red pepper flakes or 1 small fresh chili pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large heavy saucepan pour the vegetable oil, just enough to fry your zucchini
- Bring the oil temperature to 350 degrees F, and make sure you have set up a large plate lined with paper towel.
- Add the zucchini in the hot oil in batches, stirring occasionally until light golden (approximately 3 minutes)
- Transfer the fry zucchini on the plate lined with paper towel in order to release the excess fat and season immediately with salt and pepper
- Transfer the zucchini in a wide heatproof jar or a glass vessel, immediately add the vinegar and the fresh herbs, add the garlic slices, the red pepper flakes and let them cool cover with plastic wrap (making sure everything is well mix).
- Marinate in the fridge for 3 hours.
- To serve, transfer the zucchini in a serving platter, drizzle with same extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Perfect to serve on a Garlic bread crostino
For the full recipe, serving changes, video, wine and juice pairings here
Hope you enjoyed todays blog. ☺
All details to our recipes, tips, culinary retreats, and International Dinner Club for a Gourmet Food Life and Travel experience at home with friends we always funnel first to our newsletter What’s Stirring if you want more. Sign up here What’s Stirring.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for recipes, talks, tips and more!